Indian gooseberry extracts put to the test head-to-head against cholesterol-lowing statin drugs and the blood thinners aspirin and Plavix.
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at http://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free excerpt from his latest NYT Bestseller HOW NOT TO DIE. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from his books, DVDs, and speaking directly support NutritionFacts.org). Support NutritionFacts.org with a donation at http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate.
I profile the study that used the whole fruit in my previous video, The Best Food for High Cholesterol (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/The-Best-Food-for-High-Cholesterol). The double-edged sword of patenting natural substances comes up over and over. For example, Plants as Intellectual Property – Patently Wrong? (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/plants-as-intellectual-property-patently-wrong/)
With a healthier diet neither drugs or supplements may be necessary:
• Heart Attacks and Cholesterol: Purely a Question of Diet (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/heart-attacks-and-cholesterol-purely-a-question-of-diet/)
• Fast Food: Do You Want Fries With That Lipitor? (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/fast-food-do-you-want-fries-with-that-lipitor/)
• Diet Versus Drugs for High Cholesterol (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/diet-versus-drugs-for-high-cholesterol/)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/amla-vs-drugs-for-cholesterol-inflammation-and-blood-thinning and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/amla-vs-drugs-for-cholesterol-inflammation-and-blood-thinning. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
• Subscribe: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• HOW NOT TO DIE: http://nutritionfacts.org/book
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Google+: https://plus.google.com/+NutritionfactsOrgMD
• Podcast : http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/