Cutting 2 teaspoons of salt’s worth of sodium from one’s daily diet can significantly improve lung function in asthmatics.
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at http://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free excerpt from his latest NYT Bestseller HOW NOT TO DIE. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from the sales of his books, DVDs, and speaking engagements go to support the 501c3 nonprofit that runs NutritionFacts.org.)
What does salt intake have to do with inflammation? Find out in my next video, Sodium and Autoimmune Disease: Rubbing Salt in the Wound? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Sodium-and-Autoimmune-Disease-Rubbing-Salt-in-the-Wound).
What else can we do for asthma? See:
• Preventing Asthma With Fruits and Vegetables (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/preventing-asthma-with-fruits-and-vegetables/)
• Treating Asthma With Fruits and Vegetables (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/treating-asthma-with-fruits-and-vegetables/)
• Treating Asthma With Plants vs. Supplements? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/treating-asthma-with-plants-vs-supplements/)
• Treating Asthma and Eczema with Plant-based Diets (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/treating-asthma-and-eczema-with-plant-based-diets/)
• Vitamin D for Asthma (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/vitamin-D-for-asthma)
Heard that salt reduction was controversial? That’s what the processed food industry wants you to think. Check out the science in:
• High Blood Pressure May Be a Choice (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/high-blood-pressure-may-be-a-choice/)
• Sprinkling Doubt: Taking Sodium Skeptics with a Pinch of Salt (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/sprinkling-doubt-taking-sodium-skeptics-with-a-pinch-of-salt/)
• The Evidence that Salt Raises Blood Pressure (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-evidence-that-salt-raises-blood-pressure/)
• Sodium Skeptics Try to Shake up the Salt Debate (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/sodium-skeptics-try-to-shake-up-the-salt-debate/)
• Shaking the Salt Habit (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/shaking-salt-habit/)
• Sodium and Arterial Function: A-Salting our Endothelium (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/sodium-and-arterial-function-a-salting-our-endothelium/)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-treat-asthma-with-a-low-salt-diet and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-treat-asthma-with-a-low-salt-diet. You’ll also find a transcript of the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
• Subscribe: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• HOW NOT TO DIE: http://nutritionfacts.org/book
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Google+: https://plus.google.com/+NutritionfactsOrgMD
• Podcast: http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/