Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at http://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free excerpt from his latest NYT Bestseller HOW NOT TO DIE. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from his books, DVDs, and speaking go to charity).
DESCRIPTION: Increasing the cost of cigarettes through tobacco taxes is one of the most effective ways to decrease the harms of smoking; so, what does the science say about sodium, sugar, and saturated fat taxes?
This is kind of the flipside to my video Taxpayer Subsidies for Unhealthy Foods (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/taxpayer-subsidies-for-unhealthy-foods/).
For more on how the food industry has borrowed from the tobacco industry playbook, see:
• Collaboration with the New Vectors of Disease (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/collaboration-with-the-new-vectors-of-disease/)
• Big Sugar Takes on the World Health Organization (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/big-sugar-takes-on-the-world-health-organization)
• Big Food Using the Tobacco Industry Playbook (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/big-food-using-tthe-tobacco-industry-playbook)
• American Medical Association Complicity with Big Tobacco (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/american-medical-association-complicity-with-big-tobacco)
But wait, what about those that insist that sodium really isn’t bad for you? See:
• Sprinkling Doubt: Taking Sodium Skeptics with a Pinch of Salt (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/sprinkling-doubt-taking-sodium-skeptics-with-a-pinch-of-salt/)
• The Evidence that Salt Raises Blood Pressure (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-evidence-that-salt-raises-blood-pressure/)
• Sodium Skeptics Try to Shake up the Salt Debate (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/sodium-skeptics-try-to-shake-up-the-salt-debate/)
But wait, what about those that insist that saturated fat really isn’t bad for you? See The Saturated Fat Studies: Buttering Up the Public (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-saturated-fat-studies-buttering-up-the-public/) and The Saturated Fat Studies: Set Up to Fail (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-saturated-fat-studies-set-up-to-fail/).
But wait, what about those that insist that sugar really isn’t bad for you? See Big Sugar Takes on the World Health Organization (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/big-sugar-takes-on-the-world-health-organization/) and Does Diet Soda Increase Stroke Risk as Much as Regular Soda? (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/does-diet-soda-increase-stroke-risk-as-much-as-regular-soda).
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/would-taxing-unhealthy-foods-improve-public-health and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/would-taxing-unhealthy-foods-improve-public-health. You’ll also find a transcript of the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
• Subscribe: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• HOW NOT TO DIE: http://nutritionfacts.org/book
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Google+: https://plus.google.com/+NutritionfactsOrgMD
• Podcast: http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/