Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at http://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free excerpt from his latest NYT Bestseller HOW NOT TO DIE. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from his books, DVDs, and speaking go to charity).
DESCRIPTION: 4,000 IU of vitamin D a day are recommended for elders at high risk for falling to improve muscle strength and balance, though there is something that works even better.
Whoa, what the heck was that? Notice anything different? We are shifting from the old way we were doing videos, using slow, outdated software, to pulling in motion graphics design specialists to craft the look of our videos. This one was done by Daniel Black, one of four teams of contractors we’re currently working with. Tomorrow’s video will be created by a different team. It’s up to you to tell us which you like better. In the comments please include your thoughts on the new look, and which format you like better. And if you or someone you know is an expert in motion graphics software and would like to become team number five please check out our Employment Opportunities (http://nutritionfacts.org/employment/) page.
Other studies in which vitamin D supplements have been put to the test in randomized, placebo controlled studies (effectively proving (or disproving!) their efficacy) are featured in videos such as Will You Live Longer if You Take Vitamin D Supplements? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/will-you-live-longer-if-you-take-vitamin-D-supplements) and Do Vitamin D Supplements Help with Diabetes, Weight Loss, and Blood Pressure (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/do-vitamin-D-supplements-help-with-diabetes-weight-loss-and-blood-pressure).
That brings up a bunch of important questions, answered here:
• How Much Vitamin D Should You Take? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-much-vitamin-D-should-you-take)
• The Optimal Dose of Vitamin D Based on Natural Levels (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-optimal-dose-of-vitamin-D-based-on-natural-levels)
• The Best Way to Get Vitamin D: Sun, Supplements, or Salons? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-best-way-to-get-vitamin-D-sun-supplements-or-salons)
• The Risks and Benefits of Sensible Sun Exposure (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-risks-and-benefits-of-sensible-sun-exposure)
Unfortunately, most supplements are useless or worse. Here are a few of my more recent supplement videos:
• Are Calcium Supplements Safe? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-calcium-supplements-safe)
• Are Calcium Supplements Effective? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-calcium-supplements-effective)
• Industry Response to Plants Not Pills (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/industry-response-to-plants-not-pills)
• What is the Optimal Vitamin C intake? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-is-the-optimal-vitamin-c-intake)
• Black Raspberry Supplements Put to the Test (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/black-raspberry-supplements-put-to-the-test)
• How to Develop a Healthy Gut Ecosystem (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-develop-a-healthy-gut-ecosystem)
More on the benefits of exercise can be found in videos like Longer Life Within Walking Distance (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/longer-life-within-walking-distance/).
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/should-vitamin-d-supplements-be-taken-to-prevent-falls and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/should-vitamin-d-supplements-be-taken-to-prevent-falls. You’ll also find a transcript of the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
• Subscribe: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• HOW NOT TO DIE: http://nutritionfacts.org/book
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Google+: https://plus.google.com/+NutritionfactsOrgMD
• Podcast: http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/