Just like most doctors smoked in the 1950, most physicians today continue to consume foods that are contributing to our epidemics of dietary disease.
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at http://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free excerpt from his latest NYT Bestseller HOW NOT TO DIE. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from the sales of his books, DVDs, and speaking engagements go to support the 501c3 nonprofit that runs NutritionFacts.org.)
I find this to be such a powerful concept that I have come at it from different angles. For other takes, check out Taking Personal Responsibility for Your Health (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/taking-personal-responsibility-for-your-health/) and How Smoking in 1956 is Like Eating in 2017 (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-smoking-in-1956-is-like-eating-in-2017). Are the health effects of smoking really comparable to diet, though? Check out Animal Protein Compared to Cigarette Smoking (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/animal-protein-compared-cigarette-smoking).
The food industry certainly uses the same kind of misinformation tactics to try to confuse consumers. See for example:
• Big Food Using the Tobacco Industry Playbook (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/big-food-using-the-tobacco-industry-playbook/)
• Collaboration with the New Vectors of Disease (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/collaboration-with-the-new-vectors-of-disease/)
• Big Food Using the Tobacco Industry Playbook (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/big-food-using-tthe-tobacco-industry-playbook)
• The Healthy Food Movement: Strength in Unity (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-healthy-food-movement-strength-in-unity)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/dont-wait-until-your-doctor-kicks-the-habit and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/dont-wait-until-your-doctor-kicks-the-habit. You’ll also find a transcript of the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
• Subscribe: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• HOW NOT TO DIE: http://nutritionfacts.org/book
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Google+: https://plus.google.com/+NutritionfactsOrgMD
• Podcast: http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/